skip to content

Support for you

The University and Colleges provide a range of support for students to access where they have experienced any form of abusive behaviour, physical misconduct, sexual misconduct, or other form of inappropraite behaviour by other students or staff.  Find more information about available sources of support

Where a student's studies have been impacted by the behaviour intermission or an exam allowance may be appropriate, you will not need to provide a full account of the behaviour if you have already reported it to the University, College or police.  If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student your College Tutor can help apply for these measures.  If you are a postgraduate research student you can apply directly - more information is available on this exam allowances webpage or intermission webpage.

Reporting the behaviour of other students or staff

You can report inappropriate behaviour of other students and staff either anonymously here or with your contact details using Report+Support.  If you report with contact details, a member of OSCCA will be in contact with you in 5 working days to discuss the next steps.  An explanation of the reporting process and a summary of the resulting processes are available in a Student Flow Chart.  If you have a question about reporting you can email

For all reports made:

  • You will never be disadvantaged for raising a genuine complaint;
  • You will be able to bring a supporter with you to any meetings;
  • You will be informed of the outcome of your complaint and any resulting actions that have a direct impact on you.

If you report inappropriate behaviour of other students and staff through Report+Support the following action can be initiated with your consent:

Informal Complaint Procedure for Student Misconduct - for informal action for student misconduct

  • The Procedure will not make any findings or decisions about whether the behaviour you describe has taken place;
  • This is an informal procedure and it will not be formally recorded on CamSIS or other student record;
  • Outcomes of the process can include a conduct agreement, which can prevent the student(s) from contacting or approaching you; or being able to access parts of the University that you frequently use.

Student Disciplinary Procedure - for formal action for student misconduct

  • The Procedure will include a formal investigation of the behaviour and determine whether or not, on the balance of probabilities, it has taken place and breaches the University's Rules of Behaviour;
  • Where the University's Rules of Behaviour have been breached, sanctions can be imposed including no contact with specified people, restrictions on use of buildings, facilities or services, or for very serious matters, temporary or permanent exclusion.

Student Complaints Procedure - for formal action for staff misconduct

  • Other options for reporting staff behaviour are shown in the flowchart of processes for student complaints about staff behaviour.
  • Regardless of the outcome of your complaint, it is highly likely that any responsibility or decision-making that the staff member has over you will be removed.
  • At no point during the investigation will you be expected to be in the same room as the staff member and it is very unlikely that you will need to attend a hearing.  You will always be informed of the outcome of your complaint and any actions that directly affect you.

Reporting to the police

If you believe that a criminal offence has been committed then you can report the matter to the police.  If the incident has taken place in Cambridge then you can find out more information from the Cambridge Constabulary.  If you report a matter to the police, you can still report a matter to the University or College.  The University can limit any interaction between you and the student or staff member you have reported whilst any criminal investigation is ongoing, otherwise the University is likely to wait until the conclusion of any criminal proceedings before taking further action.  Unless the University considers there to be an immediate and significant threat to you or other members of the community, it will never inform the police about a matter you have reported without your explicit consent.

Reporting misconduct to a College

The procedure for complaining about a student, fellow or College employee to a College is likely to be published on the College website.  You can seek advice from your Tutor or Senior Tutor, or from the Tutorial Office about how to make a complaint, or where the Senior Tutor is involved, the Master of the College.

With your consent, the University and College may work together to decide how best to investigate a matter.  Where the report relates to a student engaging in sexual misconduct you will normally be directed to use the University's procedures.  For advice about which procedure to use, speak to your Tutor, the Sexual Violence Support Service or contact the Office of Student Conduct, Complaints and Appeals at

Q. Feedback on the harassment and sexual misconduct processes

If you have any feedback or questions regarding this webpage or any of the University's reporting procedures please contact